Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The day I received my transfer orders..

April 16,2008: The entire day was spent at Bhitargaon, a remote village about 50 kms from Kanpur city. My Bank had organised a Financial Literacy Camp for the residents of the village with assistance from the local administration. I had no idea where we were heading or what will be in store. But I guess, that's how life is. It was only after reaching there and interacting with people that I realised that rural india is in such a bad shape. Even till date, the village is without power, drinking water is scarce, agriculture is on the mercy of the almighty.The majority of the population in this village is living below poverty line. We were given a nice welcome by the locals, expecting some big announcement.

I felt awkward for the luxury vehicles in which we were travelling, not sure of what difference will our endeavours will make in their everyday life.
I was totally cut off from the rest of the world as there were no mobile signals. The entire proceedings were stereotype and I felt an unending uneasiness.

No comments: